Yahoo! I found figs in the store yesterday! I bought a bunch and will enjoy them throughout the week. Tonight we’re serving them up on crostini with some cheese, bacon and honey. They’re ridiculously good! How I wished I had a glass of Veuve (97 Reserve please) to wash these down and a bit of privacy while I made a pig of myself turning 6 servings into 1.
- 1 demi baguette
- 4 ripe figs
- 6 oz of Havarti
- 2 oz of blue cheese
- 2 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Cut 6 slices of bread from the baguette and place them on a baking sheet.
- Shred the Havarti cheese and crumble the blue cheese.
- Place the baguette slices in the oven and turn the oven to broil. Broil until they’re just starting to turn golden. Remove them from the oven. NOTE: This will only take 1 – 2 minutes so don’t walk away from the oven and check them continuously.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 425F.
- Top each slice with fig slices. Add a few bits of bacon and blue cheese and top with 1 oz of the Havarti.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted (about 3 – 4 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and drizzle lightly with honey.
- Serve these lovely little bites warm. A side of fig jam or a glass of champagne wouldn’t hurt either!
- Change it up!
- Try Fontana cheese instead of Havarti or any other mild white cheese you can get.
- If you don’t like blue, and I really hope you do, but if you don’t…try shavings of Parm or fresh goat cheese instead.
- Plums would be a great substitute to figs if you can’t find those.