Somewhere deep inside I secretly think I’m part Italian. I love all things tomato based…particularly sauces. Marinara is always my freezer. I make double and triple batches so I have it around any time I need it. This recipe is fast and easy but will taste like you spent all day cooking it. Plus it’s one of those things that tastes better the next day. Hope you give it a try!
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- ½ large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped (1tsp is using jarred)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of pepper
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp of EVOO
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the basil, finely dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the EVOO in the saucepan.
- Add the onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Toss in the garlic and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with any pasta of your choice, use as a sauce for pizza, dipping sauce for fried mozzarella or as a cooking base for roast chicken or pork.
- FYI….I use this for my meatballs as well. It keeps them moist as they bake in the oven.
- If you’re not a big fan of cooking with wine…just omit it from the recipe. I hope you don’t tho…it’s they secret to making this sauce taste like it was cooking all day.