Summer is almost gone but I’m going to make the most of if while it’s still here. That means salad, salad and more salad. Here’s one using the latest fad green….Kale! Now kale is rather tough so to use it in salad it needs to be chopped very thinly and marinated in acid; in our case lemon. Toss in sweet dried cranberries, buttery walnuts, red onions and fresh herbs for a savory, hearty salad. I’ve been doing this twice a week….try it for a stove free lunch or dinner.
- 4 cups of kale, (1 – 2 bunches)
- ½ small red onion (approx 1 cup)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ tsp of Salt and Pepper each
- 1/3 cup of walnuts
- Wash the kale thoroughly. Remove the stems and slice the leaves as thin as possible.
- Next slice the onion thinly.
- Coarsely chop the parsley.
- Wash and zest the lemon. Place the zest in a large bowl. Juice the lemon into the same bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper to the lemon juice. Whisk until it begins to thicken. Taste and the seasoning as needed.
- Next, add the kale to the dressing and massage to thoroughly coat and penetrate the leaves. Let stand about 5 minutes. Add the cranberries, onion and parsley. Thoroughly mix. Set aside for another 5 – 10 minutes. Fold in the walnuts just before serving.
- Serve with a slice of garlic bread!
- Turn this salad into a meal by adding any of the following:
- Try topping this with grilled chicken or shrimp.
- Bulk it up by adding diced grapefruit, sliced strawberries or blue berries.
- Try adding fresh basil in place of parsley