Eggs for dinner anyone?? I saw a gorgeous picture of some eggs baked with tomatoes and sausage last week…they looked heavenly!! I’ve been craving them ever since so I decided to whip up my own version sans the pig. Not only were they super tasty but they were easy and quick to prepare. Try them out for lunch and brunch too. Hope you like these! Oh…and for my carnivorous peeps…just toss browned sausage into the sauce and let me know how it turns out.
- 4 eggs
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1/3 cup finely diced carrot (1 small carrot)
- ¼ cup sweet or red onion
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped plus extra for finishing
- 2 large clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Finely dice the carrot and onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Preheat the oven to 450F and heat an oven proof skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the EVOO to the skillet and heat for a minute or two.
- Saute the onions, carrots and onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté until the carrots become tender, then add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce starts to simmer, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes uncovered. Note: you’ll want the sauce to thicken into something like a thick spaghetti sauce. Don’t cook it down too much because it will also continue to thicken in the oven.
- Next use the back of a spoon to make 4 little wells; one in each corner of the pan.
- Crack an egg into each well, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the eggs for 7 – 10 minutes or just until the whites set.
- Top with the parm and left over basil.
- Serve hot with some crusty bread to soak up all the tomato-yolky goodness.
- Don’t have time to make the tomato sauce? Used jarred for an ever quicker meal.
- If you have your own recipe for sauce use that instead! I have my own but wanted to used something closer to a jam for this recipe. The sweet / salty factor rocks!!!