I loved it when my mother would make cornbread. Leftovers were thrown in the toaster oven in place of toast for breakfast. Here’s my play on a childhood favorite. We’ve buttered the corn bread – yes again! – and broiled it caramelizing the sweet bread. Topping it with a fried egg and a touch of green onion rounds out this salty sweet dish. Simple, quick and tasty!
- 8 slices of day old corn bread
- 8 eggs
- 2 green onions
- 4 tbsp of butter
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO for frying
- Preheat the oven to 450F and heat a non stick skillet
- Lightly butter the slices of cornbread on each side and place the slices on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Chop the green onions (greens only) and set aside.
- Set the oven to broil, place the corn bread in the oven until they’re golden brown. Don’t leave the bread unattended; the broiler works quickly!
- Once the bread is toasted, prepare the eggs. Pour a bit of EVOO into the preheated pan. Fry the eggs either sunny side up or over easy.
- Place one fried egg on top of each corn bread slice. Sprinkle the eggs with a touch of salt and pepper and top with the green onions.
- These little treats make a great breakfast. Serve with a side of peppered bacon and a big mimosa.
- Change it up!
- Try sprinkling the eggs with a bit or parmesan cheese for a salty cheesy kick.
- Swap out green onions for diced red bell pepper.