Summer is almost over and with that I’m scrambling to use the last of the succulent fruits the season has to offer. I LOVE stone fruits but the versatile peach is by far my favorite. This salad uses the pitted beauties as both a topping as well as in the dressing. It makes a starter or main meal when topped with any number of ingredients. Sadly they’re nearly gone but I’m sure next year will bring a flood of new ideas for using my beloved summer fav. A la prochaine saison ma cherie peche!
- 1 peach
- 6 oz of arugula
- 2 tbsp mixed fresh herbs (any combination of the following: parsley, mint, basil, tarragon, thyme, cilantro, rosemary, chives)
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the arugula and remove the stems if you’re using a bunch rather than pre-washed and bagged greens. Place the arugula in a large bowl and set aside.
- Rinse the herbs and pat dry. Remove the leaves from the stems and place the herbs in a food processor or blender.
- Cut the peach in half and remove the pit. Chop half the peach into small dice and add to the bowl with arugula. Roughly chop the other half and add to the herbs.
- Add the mayonnaise, EVOO, lemon juice and pinch of salt and pepper to the peach and herbs. Blend/process until the dressing is smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Add the dressing to the arugula and peaches and toss to coat the ingredients. Serve immediately.
- Pair this summer salad with any meat or vegetable dishes. This also makes a lovely lunch when served with a piece of crusty bread and a glass of Riesling or Muscat.
- Change it up! Peaches are in season in summer making it a perfect summer salad. Try this with honeydew or cantaloupe when you can’t get peaches.
- Add Ons: try adding any of these to the salad for a tasty twist!
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 2 oz of toasted pecans
- 2 – 3 slices of crumbled bacon
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro