Pizza Project #4 is inspired by one of my favorite Saturday morning breakfasts: Lox and Bagels. And thanks to my new friend, Mustard Girl, you’ve got all the fixings of the classic with a bit of a twist. So who is Mustard Girl you ask? She’s the little ray of light in my last visit to Whole Foods which was otherwise a flipping mess. As I was shopping for a good mustard for this recipe, I happened upon a bubbly energetic gal tending a to a booth offering samples of – you guessed it – mustard! She had several tasty varieties to offer, one of which I used for this pizza. Come to find out, the mustard recipes are her own and she offers fabulous ideas on how to use each one. We chatted a while about her business (check it out…Mustard Girl All American Mustards), the blog and how I planned to use mustard. I can’t wait to show her how this pie turned out. So here you have it! Lox deconstructed with a tangy, spicy kick. If you like smoked salmon…you’re gonna love this!!
- 1 lb of whole wheat pizza dough
- 2 – 3 oz of lox or cold smoked salmon
- 4 oz of softened cream cheese
- ¼ red onion
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 – 2 tbsp of fresh dill
- 1 – 2 tbsp of horseradish mustard
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Flour either the counter top or a large cutting board. Roll the dough out to about 14 inches diameter. Allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion and tomato.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
- Place the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Cover the cream cheese and microwave for 20 – 30 seconds or until soft.
- Bake the crust for 8 – 10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Spread the softened cream cheese over the crust. Top with salmon, tomato and red onion. Sprinkle with the chopped dill and then lightly drizzle the mustard on top.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve with a Belgian white ale or a buttery chardonnay.
- Change it up! Don’t’ like salmon? Try prosciutto and rosemary instead of salmon and dill.
Copyright Alex Corzo 2012