Pizza project #3 was a last minute idea that turned out to be delicious! I’ve been toying with the idea of using duck and mole on a pizza and after several drafts and a bit of heartache finally had the proposed recipe for it. I’ll spare you the details but for whatever reason the universe was not going to let me attempt the recipe today as every ingredient I tried to procure was either out of stock or was literally wiped off the shelf by another greedy shopper right before my eyes (to the Whole Foods Shopper who smirked at me while taking every available duck breast out of the freezer….you suck!). Anywho….in my shock and utter desperation to come up with another dinner idea I saw the lovely ripe avocados being piled high and marked on sale. And with that my inner Mexican squealed with delight. The result was a fresh, tangy, creamy flat bread that’s an appetizer and salad combined into one. I can’t wait to serve this one again!
- 1 lb of whole wheat pizza dough
- 2 tbsp of cilantro
- 1 avocado
- ½ lime
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup crème fraiche or crema fresca
- 1 tsp of Turkish bieber or sriracha
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of EVOO
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Flour either the counter top or a large cutting board. Roll the dough out to about 14 inches diameter. Allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the avocado and place in a small bowl. Squeeze about 1 tsp of limejuice over the avocado and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the crème fraiche, bieber/sriracha, salt and the remainder of the limejuice (approx 1 tsp). Stir to combine.
- Chop the cilantro coarsely.
- Mince the garlic
- Bake the pizza for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Top the par-baked pizza with the olive oil and mince garlic. Spread evenly over the pizza crust and top with the cheese.
- Bake the dough for another 7 – 8 minutes or until it begins to take on a golden color. Remove from oven and cool for a minute.
- Top the crust with diced avocado and the chopped cilantro. Drizzle with the spicy crème fraiche. Slice and serve immediately.
- This is a perfect appetizer or a light lunch. Serve with chips and pico de gallo, corn and black bean salad or with a round of margaritas!
- Change it up!
- Try adding some chopped tomato or some finely diced red onion on top.
- Sprinkle some ground cumin onto the crust along with the cheese.
- Use Monterey jack cheese or Chihuahua cheese instead of pecorino or parm.
Images and Recipe – Copyright Alex Corzo 2012