Everyone’s had those nights where dinner is a mélange of whatever is in the fridge. Pulling together a meal out of random pantry and leftover fridge items can be fun and forces you to get creative. That’s how this recipe was born. Now not all my kitchen sink recipes are repeats. For example, the roasted garlic enchiladas never need to see the light of day again. This recipe however was a winner! I’ve tweaked it a bit to round out the flavors and here you are….a creamy, crunchy fresh salad that’s bursting with color and flavor. Hope you like it!
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 3 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- ¼ cup of EVOO
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Thaw the corn in a colander while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Meanwhile, drain the beans and rinse them in cold water to remove the canning juices. Add the beans to a large bowl.
- Next, slice the bell pepper in half and remove the stems, seeds and the pith (that’s the white part on the inside of the pepper). Dice the bell.
- Dice the onion; use a smaller dice so that you get a bit of onion in each bite.
- Give the cilantro a rough chop.
- Add the veggies and cilantro to the bowl along with the EVOO, cumin, salt and as much pepper as you’d like. Mix to combine the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Serve slightly chilled as a side. I’ve served it with mushroom and Swiss cheese quesadillas one night and a few weeks later with a BBQ Chicken Pizza. Both were yummy!!
- Change it up!
- Try adding a few dashes of Tabasco for spicy kick or sriracha for a garlicky accent.
- A squeeze of lime juice lightens the flavors and makes it super tasty.
- Don’t like cilantro – and I know a couple of folks that don’t – use parsley or mint instead.
Images and Recipe – Copyright Alex Corzo 2012