Serves 3 – 4:
Once a month my friends and I cook lunch at the Lincoln Park Community Shelter. Last night I picked up 7 lbs of dough for the lunch and wouldn’t you know it, I completely spaced the morning of and left it in my fridge. Fortunately someone ran out and picked up more dough but now I have 7 lbs of pizza dough to use up. That’s when I came up with the idea for Project Pizza. The goal is to create seven unusual but delicious flavor combos that will work on a whole-wheat pizza crust. So here we go….Project Pizza #1. Ginger marinated chicken with sautéed mushrooms on a bed of spinach pesto with loads of Parmesan cheese. My sweetie declared this one a winner. I agreed. Enjoy!
- 6 oz of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of spinach leaves
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of fresh ginger root
- 1/2 – 2/3 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup plus 4 tbsp of EVOO
- 1 lb of prepared whole wheat pizza dough
- Preheat the oven to 450F and heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Peel the ginger root. Mince about 2 tbsp of the ginger root. Mince 2 cloves of garlic. Cut the chicken into 2-inch strips. In a large bowl, combine the garlic, ginger and chicken. Add 2 tbsp of EVOO and toss to combine all the ingredients. Set the chicken in the fridge to marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Prepare the pesto.
- Toss the spinach leaves, 2 cloves of garlic, ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup EVOO into a food processor or blender. Process / blend until the mixture is smooth. If it’s too thick – you’ll know if it is because the mixture will have a hard time blending – add another tablespoon of oil and continue to blend until you have a thick creamy sauce.
- Flour either the counter top or a large cutting board. Roll the dough out to approximately 14 inches diameter. Allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet if you’re using that or slide the dough directly on a pizza stone. Prebake the crust for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to cool for a minute or two.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons of oil to your pan. Sauté the chicken until cooked through and golden brown (approximately 8 minutes). Remove and set aside.
- Next add the mushrooms to the same pan the chicken was sautéed in and cook until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Spread the pesto on the slightly cooled crust. Top with chicken, mushrooms and the remaining cheese (1/2 cup). Bake for 9 – 10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Serve immediately. Don’t try a photo shoot while it gets cold like I do!!
- OMG…on it’s own with a beer! This is a complete meal. If you insist on serving something with it, try a tomato salad or fruit salad.
- Change it up! If you don’t like spinach, try arugula or basil. Both will be fantastic with this recipe. You could swap it for store-bought as well. Whole-wheat pizza dough is super delish and plays so well with the spinach and mushrooms but regular white dough will work as well.
Images and Recipe – Copyright Alex Corzo 2012