Tomatoes are one of my favorite fruits and now that they’re in season I’m looking for new and fun ways to cook with them. One of my favorite ways to prepare tomatoes is roasted; an idea I got from the breakfasts I enjoyed in London. Here’s my take on the breakfast dish with a little twist. I’ve stuffed them with creamy ricotta, nutty parm, fragrant lemon zest and garlic for an extra special and cheesy twist. Serve them alongside eggs and breakfast will never be the same!
- 3 large roma tomatoes
- 4 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chopped parsley (for garnish)
- EVOO for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the core and remove the seeds.
- Mince the garlic finely.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Stuff each tomato with 1 – 2 tbsp of ricotta mix, pressing down to ensure the mixture gets into the nooks and crannies of the tomato. Place the tomatoes in a baking dish. Top each tomato with a bit of cheddar. Drizzle lightly with EVOO.
- Bake the tomatoes at 425F for 15 -20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Allow the tomatoes to cool slightly before serving. Top with parsley right before serving.
- These make a great side dish for brunch lunch or dinner. I served them twice in one weekend and loved them equally at both meals. Serve them a lunch with a small salad or as a side dish for dinner.
- Try adding some breadcrumbs on top along with the cheese for an extra crunch treat!
- For a little extra decadence add some crumbled bacon to the ricotta mix. Serious yumminess!