This recipe is inspired by one of my sweetie’s favorite lunch wraps. If you’ve never had California cuisine then you’re in for a treat. We’ve mixed creamy avocado with tangy seared shrimp that’s tossed in a spicy sauce and topped with pico de gallo. The garlicky sriracha – an Asian hot sauce – makes this a true mix of global flavors. What could be more Californian than that? We wrapped this in a flavored flour tortilla but I have no doubt that any flour tortilla – from whole wheat to spinach – would be spectacular!
- 1 lemon
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 lb of shrimp (cleaned and deveined)
- 6 flour tortillas (regular or taco sized)
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp of sriracha sauce
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- Create the marinade by mincing the garlic and combining in a medium bowl with the EVOO and juice of 1 lemon. Whisk the ingredients together to combine.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss to combine. Cover the bowl and set in the fridge for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dampen a large dish towel or several paper towels. Wrap the tortillas in the towels and place in the microwave.
- In a small bowl, add the mayo and sriracha sauce and stir until combined.
- Slice the avocado in half, twist to separate the halves and remove the pit. Using a large spoon, scoop out the avocado from each half. Cut into ¼ inch chunks.
- Cut the romaine lettuce leaves in half
- Lightly grease a griddle or skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp approximately 2 minutes on each side. Hint: the shrimp should turn a lovely pink and begin to curl as they cook. A great way to tell if they’re cooked or overdone; when they form a ‘C’ shape they’re cooked…if they curl into an ‘O’ shape they’re overcooked. Thanks to the Food Network for that tip J.
- Once the shrimp are cooked, toss in the sriracha mayo sauce. Reserve any remaining sauce for the wraps.
- Heat the towel wrapped tortillas in the microwave for 30 – 45 seconds. This will make them pliable and ready for rolling
- Spread a small amount of the sriracha mayo on a tortilla. Place half of 1 romaine lettuce leaf in the middle.
- Add 4 – 5 shrimp to a tortilla and top with a few avocado pieces and 2 tbsp of pico.
- Roll the tortilla, pressing the ingredients gently to keep them in the middle, until you have a burrito like wrap.
- Slice in half and at an angle. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve with extra pico and tortilla chips.