Yields 2 cups:
A staple at any of my mother’s parties….nuff said. This recipe is simple and best when served fresh. The best thing about it is that you can’t go wrong. If you want more bite, add more garlic. You like it spicy? Add more jalapeno. Add as much cilantro or tomato as you like. There’s really no wrong or right way to make this. Much like a wine…Pico is subjective. Use this base recipe as is or tailor it to your liking. Viva Mexico!
- 3 large roma tomatoes
- 1 limes
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves
- ½ small red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves packed
- 3 Tbsp EVOO
- Salt and pepper (to your liking)
- Slice the tomatoes in half, remove the core and remove the seeds. Dice the tomatoes into ¼ inch pieces.
- Chop the cilantro coarsely.
- Slice the jalapeno and remove the seeds. Leave the ribs in if you like it spicy or remove to reduce the heat. Slice the each jalapeno half into 1/8 inch slices and then dice finely.
- Chop the onion and garlic finely.
- In a medium bowl, mix the tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, onion and garlic with EVOO and the juice of 1 lime. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve with blue corn tortilla chips for a colorful and tasty treat.
- Top fish or chicken with this garlicky tasty treat.
- Top a sliced, oiled and toasted baguette slice with Pico to create Mexican bruschetta.