This recipe is inspired by one of my favorite cooks. This salad is fresh, light and just perfect for summer. The herbs really highligt the flavor of the watermelon while the goat cheese gives it that salty little bite. Last summer my favorite was nectarine salad but I think this just might take it’s place.
- 4 – 5 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ½ small red onion
- 3 cups diced watermelon (use pre-cut watermelon, approx 1 inch cubes)
- ½ pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl.
- Chop the mint and parsley coarsely and add to the tomatoes
- Cut the onion in half, place cut side down on a cutting board and dice. Add the diced onion to the tomato and herbs.
- Next mince the garlic.
- In a small bowl add the EVOO, juice of half a lemon, the minced garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk with a fork or a small whisk until the mixture comes together and begins to thicken.
- Add the watermelon to the large bowl, crumble the cheese over the salad and top with the red pepper flakes.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve this fresh and light salad with baked chicken or fish. Pair it with a sandwich for lunch or enjoy as a light snack!