Who doesn’t love a chunky chicken salad? This one is chock full of crunchy celery, hearty walnuts, sweet cranberries and a hint of lemon to lighten the salad. Easy peasy and oh so yummy! Some suggestions on variations are included or use this recipe as a base to make your own colorful kitchen kreations!
- 2 cups of cooked chicken
- ¼ cup of dried cranberries
- ¼ cup of walnuts or cashews
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 green onions
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices of whole grain bread or 4 rolls
- Salt and Pepper
- Shred the chicken and add to a large bowl.
- NOTE – If you’re starting with raw chicken, I suggest roasting as this gives the bird a great deal of flavor. To roast, simply sprinkle the chicken (you can use skin and bone in or skinless boneless…and of course any cut will do) with salt and pepper. Roast in a 375F oven until cooked through. Cooking times will vary depending on the cut so cut into a piece to make sure it’s really done. Once done, let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before you begin shredding.
- Next slice the celery into ¼ in pieces and add to the chicken.
- Slice the green onions (using only the green parts); add those to the bowl.
- Add the cranberries, nuts, mayo, lemon juice and just a pinch of salt and pepper and mix until everything is combined.
- Let the salad rest in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast the bread slightly.
- Pile the salad on to the bread and voila! Chicken salad sammies!
- For a neat twist try swapping out the cranberries with another dried fruit suck as cherries, blueberries or even apricots.
- Try adding 1 tsp of curry powder or chili powder to the mayo for an exotic treat.